I'm a college student interested in culture and bridging gaps between different communities. This semester I am taking a class called Islam Today, wherein we study and discuss issues in the Middle East and Islam. These issues include 9/11, women in Islam, the Middle East conflict, Arab culture, and so on.
One of my assignments is to interview Muslims and see what they think about the matters we discuss in class. I was wondering if anyone here would like to share your opinions with me? I am always looking to open my mind, and to advance my understanding of global events and issues and of different religions and cultures. I would appreciate any insight you have.
Below are some of my questions. I look forward to hearing your guys' thoughts.
1. Unfortunately, Islam is a widely and grossly misunderstood religion. How big a role do you think the (Western) media has in producing or reinforcing this gross misrepresentation?
2. What is your stance on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict?
3. It is sometimes easy to confuse culture with religion. In Saudi Arabia, women are not allowed to drive. Upon learning of this, many people would jump to the conclusion that Islam looks down on women, when in reality the religion teaches respect for them. How do you suggest breaking down the stereotype that Muslim women have no rights nor respect in their communities?
4. Certain countries have banned the hijab (France, Turkey). What is your opinion on this issue? Should women have the right to choose to wear the hijab? Do you think that freedom to wear a hijab is a relevant issue in Islam, considering other issues such as the Arab-Israeli conflict, go
5. Do you think 9/11 and the consequent War on Terrorism has affected the global ties between the Muslim and non-Muslim communities? If yes, how so?
6. Do you think peace in the Middle East is possible? However long it might take? Why or why not?
7. What are some major differences between progessive Muslims and conservative Muslims? In terms of beliefs and values.
Anything else you would like to add to the dialog is welcome. Thank you all.